Socks Army Pins Coming Soon – Vote for the Charity

Happy Valentine’s Day. Pennycat here, with something helpful for you to consider on this, your special day. Not so special for me, by the way – my pillows and sun patch know exactly how much I love them, and I don’t need a day for that.

So the wonderful artist Megan Hopkins, who has done such wonderful work for me with graphics (and I guess Socks too) is helping put together the sale of Socks Army Pins, which will look truly amazing, even if they’re about Socks.

Here’s what it’ll look like:

I know, amazing, right? These are beautiful, metal pins that will look good on any food supplier, as they properly attain to their housemasters. I expect food lady to be wearing hers in no time. They go on sale shortly.

But there’s another special aspect to this.

You’re going to help decide which charity gets the percentage of profits from the sale of these pins.

Fatty has devised five potential charities which you will now get to vote for, with the winner getting the percentage. An even better situation would be for you to buy the pins AND go right to these charities and throw them some cash – they all deserve it.

The five charities are Illinois Valley Cat Taxi,  Animals in DistressBig Cat RescueIngrid’s Haven, and A Chance for Bliss. Check them out.

So get cracking, Socks Army – the voting closes at midnight EST on Friday.

VOTING CLOSED.

65 comments ↓

#1 ElizabethNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:05 pm

Very hard to choose, cause they are all good….5 way split?

#2 MiareevaNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:08 pm

I’m not sure who to vote for. Can’t you donate some of the money to each of them?

#3 KateNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:09 pm

Wow! Talk about a tough choice! What about the top three??

#4 Marsha L. Hillson GeraceNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:11 pm

This was so hard to decide! If I buy 5 pins, can each charity get a share? I feel terrible having to choose one over the others, but thank you Socks, Penny, Sockelganger, Fatty & Food Lady for doing all this! LOVE YOU ALL!

#5 PennycatNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:12 pm

I am in agreement that it is a tough choice; they all deserve it. The main issue is that it becomes an accounting nightmare for Megan if she has to track all the donations to all the non-profits. As a cat who does fatty’s taxes every year, I know what this is like. So think of it as boosting one charity while highlighting others.

#6 Jo AnnaNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:16 pm

Almost impossible to choose! I love all kitties huge or tiny!

#7 AnnRanNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:19 pm

Those pins are sooo cool! If I can sway anyone . . . I’m casting my vote for A Chance for Bliss. I know the folks over there personally and can attest to their wonderful-ness! Also, Homer Le Porc – their official spokespig, would be very mad at me if I didn’t vote for his home. I don’t want to be on his bacon list!

#8 AnnaNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:20 pm

Tough, tough choice, I settled on one …. only to feel guilty about not supporting the others … can you just amass all the money and split it 5 ways? If the pins are going to be an ongoing item, do it once or twice a year …

#9 brendaNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:20 pm

Although it was a tough decision, I made one. For the winner of this contest will be lucky because socks army will come through for them! I cannot wait to purchase and wear my pin!!

#10 aliciaNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:29 pm

It was a tough choice, but I ended up voting for A Chance for Bliss because they welcome all animals, be they tiny kitties or big horses.

#11 Marsha L. Hillson GeraceNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:31 pm

What about an even 5 way split? I don’t think there is anyone who would object to that. Too hard to choose!

#12 MiareevaNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:42 pm

Apparently the artist is responsible for all the accounting, and it will create a huge mess for her. I have no idea who to vote for though.

#13 Driver BNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:43 pm

I would also be down for a 5-way split – no accounting necessary.

Thank you Megan, Socks, and co!

#14 BettyNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:49 pm

Could you please fix the links on the contenders’ text URLs, so clicking it goes to their site? Right now the HTML is malformed and all go to 404s.

#15 maryNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 12:50 pm

Such a hard choice as i love all animals, dogs& cats, but i am very fond of agencies that rescue and give homes to difficult to place animals. Ther

#16 ThomasNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 1:14 pm

awe man, to choose? there all great. is there a way to donate the funds to one account, and have that account split it.

i can’t choose one over the other. its impossible!

#17 SteveNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 1:42 pm

I chose Animals in Distress as it sounded closest in spirit to Kitty Angels (MA), rescuers of our six cats (plus two who passed away in recent years). There are so many worthwhile rescue agencies, it’s hard to pick. Of course, anyone can donate to any or all of those shelters directly.

#18 EllenNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 1:43 pm

I voted for Illinois Valley Cat Taxi because of their no-fee spay / neuter services, which will help cut down the number of unwanted kitties!

#19 SeattlePNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 2:06 pm

They are all great but will have to choose one!

#20 PidgeNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 2:08 pm

Animals in Distress because they looked after the kids.

#21 KELLY DARBYNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 3:14 pm

ILLINOIS VALLEY CAT TAXI…ALL THE WAY!! GREAT PEOPLE DOING THEIR VERY BEST TO DO GOOD THINGS IN THEIR COMMUNITY AND ALSO HELPING OTHERS!! :)

#22 SueNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 3:19 pm

Illinois Valley Cat Taxi is an AWESOME non-profit!

#23 Miss PishPoshNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 3:40 pm

Please let everyone share the love.

#24 LizNo Gravatar on 02.14.11 at 7:21 pm

I love Illinois Valley Cat Taxi.

#25 MonicaNo Gravatar on 02.15.11 at 5:30 am

Thank you all for the IL Valley Cat Taxi love! We’re honored to have been chosen as a contender & appreciate everyone’s support! This year we’re going to spay or neuter over 1,000 more cats & put hundreds of homeless kitties in their forever homes. Thank you to everyone who helps us save lives!

#26 MarilynNo Gravatar on 02.15.11 at 12:38 pm

This is much too difficult — I want to support all of them!

#27 KZNo Gravatar on 02.15.11 at 3:17 pm

Yes, I believe it would be good if they all received some of the proceeds.

#28 David "Woody" BartleyNo Gravatar on 02.15.11 at 6:40 pm

Wow…thank you so much Socks for including us with these other amazing organizations. We feel so honored to be standing shoulder to shoulder with such greatness. As you know, we are the Forever Home for the old and sick, and we welcome in those who have no other place to go, and once here they remain for the rest of their days. We now have 90 animals, representing 12 different species, including of course wonderful felines.

#29 KatherineNo Gravatar on 02.15.11 at 8:25 pm

Voting for A Chance for Bliss, a wonderful place for older animals who’d otherwise have nowhere to go. A great & loving staff who truly care about all animals.

#30 Dawn RNo Gravatar on 02.15.11 at 8:38 pm

I’m sure they are all so deserving, but as a nearing-senior person, the care and forever home that A Chance for Bliss gives to senior pets (not to mention the handicapped, disabled and ill) earns my vote!

#31 LydiaNo Gravatar on 02.15.11 at 9:46 pm

WOW! Socks Army rocks. I agree that this could become an accounting nightmare, and the charities you picked are all so worthy. I think a 5-way split would be an efficacious way to go.

#32 DeborahNo Gravatar on 02.15.11 at 10:04 pm

5 Way, 5 way, 5 way, 5 way….

#33 Carol JacksonNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 6:13 am

Please give us an option so that all can share in the donation!!

#34 ConnieNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 7:27 am

If not a 5-way tie – then Animals In Distress all the way!

#35 FayNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 1:52 pm

I voted for A Chance for Bliss! Please vote for them too! A Chance for Bliss is amazing!!

#36 john degroffNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 2:05 pm

All are worthy. Had to go with A Chance For Bliss

#37 MeganNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 2:14 pm

My vote goes to A Chance for Bliss… started in memory of two sweet critters by two of the most caring people you’ll ever meet. The animals being cared for there know nothing but safety and love in the arms of Woody, Dee and the rest of the gang who work selflessly and tirelessly 24/7.

#38 TiffanyNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 2:16 pm

Easter Seals is happy to support A Chance for Bliss! We are forever grateful for their amazing care for the animals, as well as their patience, dedication, and support for the rehabilitation services our clients work so hard for.

#39 gwen .No Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 2:28 pm

All great and wonderful groups….but chance for bliss is in my neighborhood. And Woody and the crew are so special to my whole family. I’m voting for Chance for Bliss.

#40 DomenicNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 2:31 pm

The staff at A Chance For Bliss are truly Angels on Earth. They are the BEST!!!

#41 CyndiNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 2:43 pm

I voted for A Chance For Bliss as I am familiar with this wonderful organization. But I agree, they are all great organizations and I don’t see why all the money couldn’t go into one spot and divided equally five ways. It’s the only fair way and everyone gets some assistance.

#42 RJNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 2:59 pm

A Chance for Bliss gets my vote. They bring such love and dignity to aging and special needs animals who might not have received it otherwise. Their devotion to their animals is just amazing!

#43 Tracey H.No Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 3:14 pm

They all sound wonderful and incredibly worthy. But I have to vote for A Chance for Bliss. I am a monthly sponsor and the wonderful volunteers there treat every animal with love and respect for as long as they are there. A great, great organization!

#44 DebbieNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 3:18 pm

I visited A Chance for Bliss last year – I was visiting from Georgia – and was amazed at the compassionate and loving care that these senior, disabled, and unwanted animals were given. Not one animal who needs them is turned away. The wonderful work they do is truly a labor of love. May God bless each and every animal and their caregivers at A Chance for Bliss. You have my vote.

#45 CandaceNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 3:19 pm

A Chance For Bliss rocks!!!!!

#46 SallyNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 3:21 pm

I agree The Socks Army Rocks.

5 way split gets my vote.

#47 terriNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 3:28 pm

I think A Chance for Bliss is the way to go! I have several animals of different breeds (incl 6 cats). I would like to think they would all be able to go to the same place after growing old together should something happen to me and they need a forever home.

#48 Nancy P. FoxNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 3:28 pm

Wish there were a way to vote for each and every one …. they are all so deserving of all our help..

#49 KathrynNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 3:44 pm

A Chance For Bliss gets my vote (although they are all deserving). We donate monthly to support this wonderful organization and they really need the support!

#50 JoAnneNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 3:48 pm

My heart is with A Chance For Bliss if only one agency can be chosen. What a wonderful life they give our animal friends. A 5 way split would be great too. All seem like organizations that are really making a difference. Thanks!

#51 Felice HussaNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 4:17 pm

All of the animal charities are deserving. All the critters at A Chance For Bliss receive excellent care. My daughter was born with Autism and volunteers regularly at ACFB with the help of an adult aide. This incredible place helps not only the animals but the many volunteers, both disabled and not. This place has changed my daughter as well as all the other volunteers.

#52 Barb ThrasherNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 4:29 pm

A Chance For Bliss is awesome. I’ve been there and they take disabled, elderly and animals in hospice and end of life. They give them love, care and comfort for their final days. They take all types of animals. They teach compassionate care and wellness methods also. I know all the candidates are awesome, but my vote is for A Chance for Bliss.

#53 SharonNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 4:37 pm

My vote goes to A Chance For Bliss. I’ve been there and have seen the level of care these animals receive.
It’s an amazing place.

#54 DebbieNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 4:50 pm

I ditto what Dawn R. said.

Not only does A CHANCE FOR BLISS give care to senior, handicapped, disabled and ill pets, they also provide a means of therapy to others that come to visit their animals such as Easter Seals HTR program participants. Please vote for A CHANCE FOR BLISS!

#55 TheresaNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 5:44 pm

It was a hard choice, but we voted for A Chance For Bliss. They’re all worthy! The medal looks fabulous!
thanks for doing this,
@tildatoo

#56 CarolNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 5:57 pm

I agree with Lydia! A five-way split … but as we live in a society that throws away the elderly, the disabled and the ill, the forever home that A Chance for Bliss offers these animals is needed in our world!

#57 BlackpawNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 6:34 pm

A tough choice, but I have to go with “A Chance for Bliss” – to see the elder and/or disabled animals live out their last years in peace makes me happy.

#58 Emily J.No Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 6:41 pm

I voted for a Chance for Bliss because I have volunteered there and have first hand knowledge of the personal sacrifices made by its owners for all of the animals in their care. The animals come first, and they pour sweat, blood, and tears into the well-being of each and every resident (not to mention their hearts). While I’m sure all of the charities deserve help for what they do, I know how critical financial assistance is to a Chance for Bliss. What amazes me the most about the couple who run this sanctuary is that they didn’t start rescuing with the intention of being a charity–they cared for all of the animals on their own dime. The economy has now made this impossible, but THAT is the essence of altruism.

P.S. I miss you, Homer!! <3<3

#59 Dena McMastersNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 7:47 pm

So hard to choose but I have to go with “A chance for Bliss”, I am encouraged by this organizations grace in taking in senior and handicapped, no matter how much time is left for each. It just restores my warm and fuzzy.

#60 AngelicaNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 9:50 pm

A Chance for Bliss, because it means the world to my surogate big sister.

#61 heatherNo Gravatar on 02.16.11 at 10:33 pm

A Chance for Bliss is an incredible place run by fabulous people who not only take care of sick, old, or injured animals but they give back to the community. They host events, community open houses on sundays, invite the local Easter Seals groups to visit the ranch. The list goes on and on. The majority of their animals are senior or abandoned animals that oftentimes live well into their 20′s and 30′s. Just ask them about their 35+ year old horses-INCREDIBLE PEOPLE RUNNING AN AMAZING ORGANIZATION THAT IS MOST DESERVING!

#62 MircatNo Gravatar on 02.17.11 at 8:14 am

I’m sure they are all worthwhile and I support all their animal rescue efforts. Since I can only vote for one, it will be A Chance For Bliss because I’ve been there and see the good work they do. A horse and potbelly pig came in together because their owners left them behind. The pig goes into the huge corral and among the herd of horses finds his pal and visits with him awhile before heading back to hang out with the other potbellies. Great place!

#63 Karin SchwabNo Gravatar on 02.17.11 at 8:16 am

If I can sway anyone – please vote for Chance for Bliss. In 2008 my beloved goat, Jackson, became a resident at Chance for Bliss. I had Jackson for 12 years and adored him. He was a la mancha and quite the character. He was older when I got him and ancient by the time he went to live at “Bliss”. I was forced to move from the rural property I lived on and could not take Jackson with me to the city lot I was moving to. It broke my heart to have to find Jackson a new home – he was part of my family. What eased my pain and anxiety was finding Dea and Woody of “Bliss”. When I met Dea – co-founder of Bliss along with her husband Woody – she was so compassionate and caring to both me and Jackson. It was an incredibly painful time for me and Jackson and Dea was able to help us both through this transition. They sent me photos of Jackson while he resided at Bliss and I know that he was loved, cared for and content. Jackson has traveled over the Rainbow Bridge and I know in my heart that thanks to Dea and Woody that he was loved and comfortable through the end. If it wasn’t for Chance for Bliss, elderly farm animals such as Jackson would have no where to go to live out their lives with the dignity and care they so deserve. Please help this wonderful organization to continue the wonderful work they do by voting for them!!!

#64 ChrissNo Gravatar on 02.17.11 at 8:19 am

A Chance for Bliss touches the very heart of humanity!

#65 wonder dog rescueNo Gravatar on 02.17.11 at 10:52 am

Please let us know how we can help to promote the sale of the pins too! Each of these groups is wonderful…. bless them all for their good works!
om shanti!