The Sockington Book: A Survey (Now Completed!)

Since Socks “made it big”, with “made it big” being a set of completely arbitrary opinions, people have asked how and when he’s going to get rich.  Setting aside that for a cat, “making it big” means steady meals and an only tacit awareness of rain, the fact remains that there’s some expectation out there that there would be some amount of products, endorsements and celebrity appearances by Socks. That’s all fine and good, but we’re talking about a cat that barely remembers when he walked into the room, and mostly follows me towards the food dishes as his reminder it’s dinner. Obviously, he would need help in any such endeavor, and so it falls to me.

But I’m not right off the turnip truck, ladies and gentlemen. Even I know the advantages of asking ahead of time what any potential audience would want to see.

The Sockington T-Shirts have done pretty well (feel free to pick one up anytime) and it’s been nice to see people wearing them around (obviously a Pennycat t-shirt should be next).

But what will you think of the idea of a Sockington book? A little coffee table number perfect for sitting on or nuzzling off the coffee table with your nose, or maybe (if you’re a person) to read?

I’ve spent a little time on a possible mockup of a cover:

socksbookmock

So here’s the deal, wonderful audience: what are your thoughts on this? After all, I have to see the grey fellow every single day of my life, along with his new sidekick. It’s not like we’re talking about anything new to me. But there’s been some clamor and call for a book of photographs, essays, and various bits of wisdom related to myself and Socks (and cousin Oliver), and so let’s see what you really think.

Enclosed, below, is a survey with five basic questions about what you’d be looking for. It will help immeasurably in getting an idea of an interest in such a project, and help gear the final “product”, if the project moves forward. This will help immeasurably, and I thank you ahead of time for your effort in helping.

UPDATE: With 850 responses in less than a day, I have plenty to chew over. I’ll give a report shortly. Thanks, everyone, you know how to step up and help.

38 comments ↓

#1 DeNiseNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 2:12 pm

I would love to have a book about Socks, Penny and cousin Oliver. However, since Penny and I seem to have the same slant on life, I would also love love love to have a book about Penny’s life written from her perspective.

#2 Hollie FergusonNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 2:17 pm

I think this is a fantastic idea. I like the mockup of a new cover. Would like to see picture of PennyCat and Little Sockelganger (Cousin Oliver) somewhere on the cover. We would buy this as soon as it becomes available, I hope it moves forward.

#3 Hollie FergusonNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 2:17 pm

I would also love to see a book about PennyCat, as you have so many interesting stories of your life b4 this one.

#4 tNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 2:38 pm

I’m sure any book about socks and co will be the cats whiskers!

#5 @olliepcatNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 2:55 pm

as much as I hang on every word from my beloved @pennycat, methinks what happens on twitter should stay on twitter

#6 DebbieNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 3:03 pm

Love the mock up of the cover. Maybe add down on the bottom “featuring PennyCat and Sockelganger” and have photos of them???

#7 Bonnie BeddingfieldNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 4:31 pm

I would love a book with pictures of all the cats, and some of their “sayings”. I couldn’t afford to buy one that coast a lot, but would love to have a small one!!

#8 Meg ThompsonNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 5:23 pm

Please no book–I’d feel obligated to buy it, then get rid of it 2 years later. Just let the cats be cats–and stay on Twitter!!! I agree with olliepcat completely.

#9 MaerieNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 5:34 pm

Part of the incredible charm of such a book is that you, Jason Scott, somehow have an incredible ability to write for cats. Some people write plays. Some write fiction, or short stories…or, these days, ‘creative non-fiction’, whatever that is.

You my friend possess a real genius about getting inside that little cat brain and [being limited by 140 characters], find the pressure cooker of limit somehow inspiring, since you are able to capture hilarity inside brevity. Kudos.

I think you should think about doing more videos. You are also a natural at that. Have a channel on YouTube. Sell ads on the blog. It’s not so much a real, three dimensional ‘product’ I want from you like a book or a T-Shirt…it’s the continual “gah!!” moment I feel when so often amused and shocked to see what you’ve done and thought-up next!

#10 MaerieNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 5:37 pm

P.S. Think about how http://www.icanhascheeseburger.com has monetized their hilarity and cuteness. You fill the same desire and same urge for a work-a-day break from the norm. It really could work for you and Socks, Penny, and Sockelganger….because what YOU (and kittens) offer is a more intimate, personal view. Celebrity catonality.

#11 KarenNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 5:46 pm

I really, really, really want a bumper sticker or something that says…”what would sockington do?

Please!

#12 Princesse ChatNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 6:35 pm

Would consider buying a Socks book, but would rush out to buy a Penny Cat book. She is my favorite. Would love to hear more from her.

#13 Pam M.No Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 6:38 pm

I agree with Maerie that Jason Scott is a genius when it comes to getting inside the minds of his cats.

But I disagree with her not wanting the 3-dimensional products. I DO want them. Got the t-shirt… will buy the books and whatever else Jason puts out in the name of Socks, Penny and Tweetie. I would also like a dvd.

#14 MeowmixNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 7:36 pm

I want a bumper sticker like Karen mentioned and other stuff that mentions “What would Sockington do?” Oh Oh, how about a Socks plush toy? Socks poster. Socks / Socks Army fan club with membership card. Postcards. Anything.

#15 KarenNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 8:36 pm

I like the idea of the book as PDF download, especially if it’s going to be self-published. That way it all stays on the computer and you minimize your chance to lose money on it. Plus, if it does well you could always add to it for a small fee or something, like a subscription service.

#16 divageekNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 9:07 pm

I still want a “SOCKS ARMY REPRESENT” t-shirt. :)

#17 Missy SpottyNo Gravatar on 10.11.09 at 11:14 pm

I agree that Fatty…oops, I mean Jason has an incredible talent as a writer and should develop it. I love crazy products (remember those Krushed Kittys you used to be able to get, the back half of a cat you had sticking out the trunk of your car or whatever lol) and would gladly buy stuff from “the mob.” If people give you a hard time over making money out of your pets and you feel uneasy about it then start a project assisting kitty shelters or something with some of the profits. I think this could be huge…Sockington Inc…lol.

#18 LisaNo Gravatar on 10.12.09 at 4:09 am

I also would purchase a socks book, but only if it was filled with Pennycat stuff. I love her. The problem with a book about a cat is that if you really want it to be a big seller, you need to promote it and do a book tour. But that book tour wouldn’t be complete if Socks himself wasn’t there, and most cats are not exactly good travelers.

#19 Seven of NineNo Gravatar on 10.12.09 at 4:46 am

OMG I CAN’T WAIT – Please PLEASE make this book available in the UK… I might even get my own personal Fatty to buy it for me…

#20 BanannieNo Gravatar on 10.12.09 at 5:45 am

I’d be more into a calendar or something like that. A page a day Sockington calendar perhaps?

#21 AndreaNo Gravatar on 10.12.09 at 6:29 am

I would purchase a Sockington product if a fair part of the proceeds are donated to an animal welfare organization. And I’m pretty sure would Sockington would insist on it.

#22 kNo Gravatar on 10.12.09 at 8:53 am

i want sockelganger stuff. Or – actually, what I really want is the sockelganger himself. I am a sucker for small grey kittens.

But I think a socks book is a good idea, provided it was small enough or sold at a reasonable price point to make it a widely available impulse buy.

I DO like the Sockington Calendar idea, because a 12-month calendar would give a great space for some really beautiful/artsy/bizarre photography.

#23 AmandaNo Gravatar on 10.12.09 at 8:55 am

My Sockington t-shirt gets a lot of wear- I love the great design and quality- so I’d definitely buy a book (and a calendar- not a page-a-day one- I never use those- but a regular 12 mo calendar would be fantastic). If a bit of the proceeds went to an animal charity, that would be awesome but I personally have nothing against the writer being rewarded for what an awesome, surely time-consuming job he does sharing the Penny/Socks/Sockelganger world.

Thank you for sharing the Socks posse with us all- their tweets make my day!

#24 Tee 'n' the WildlifeNo Gravatar on 10.12.09 at 2:43 pm

Love the idea of a book but would prefer the small-format paperback of the “Cheeseburger” or “My Cat Hates You” type–except that my “Cheseburger” binding is falling apart, fooey!

Love the idea of a bumper-sticker. How about “What would Sockington say…?” Tweetie-Weetie’ story is his own little book and success-story: How he and his little family were found by the rescue ladies and how one wonderful and perceptive kitten wrangler & food lady just knew she could calm the leetle bugger down and then, a miracle happened: a great big lightbulb popped on right above her head and she had a vision of Tweetie in the same household as (That’s Mister) Fatty (to You) and his lovely Food Lady AND that smart cookie Pennycat and her socks-for-brains tormentor Sockington, who, yikers, looks like the tiny Tweetie.

Love it! But I think a small but plump little softcover is better. I like the little “giftie” size, and I think that $12.95 to $14.95 price is much better.

#25 Tee 'n' the WildlifeNo Gravatar on 10.12.09 at 2:47 pm

Oops, it’s my “Stuff on My Cat” binding that’s falling apart!

#26 SylvieNo Gravatar on 10.13.09 at 7:03 am

Maerie took the thought right out of my head. My author friends tell me books don’t make much money–especially, these days (and while the book tours are flattering they take big bites out of your life). On the other hand, a book of what is already out there–and if it could capture the charmed world of S, P, and little s–could be appealing. I’m just apprehensive the magic might disappear if it all tips over into the commercially-contrived.

#27 Makis MomNo Gravatar on 10.13.09 at 1:47 pm

We absolutely need a Pennycat t-shirt!!!!

#28 CatherinneNo Gravatar on 10.14.09 at 4:36 am

I think it’s a great idea!! I would bought it!!! I love cats and Sockington is a very special one.

I would love that

Catherinne.

#29 richNo Gravatar on 10.21.09 at 9:26 am

I’d love this book!!! ^^ Hmm, and a penny shirt is a good idea as well. ^^

#30 SandyNo Gravatar on 10.23.09 at 11:41 am

Late commenting here, but also wanted to add that I am a big pennycat fan and would love to hear more from her.

#31 Makis MomNo Gravatar on 10.27.09 at 8:25 am

Pennycat rocks!!!

#32 RubenNo Gravatar on 10.30.09 at 3:48 pm

Sockington rocks. I’d surely buy The Sockington Book any time and read it, well, better yet, try to convey its content to interested cats.

#33 ReneNo Gravatar on 11.18.09 at 11:55 am

Like the book idea; it needs to be the entire family in it. Like the mock-up of the cover. Hurry up and get it published.

#34 whippy Curly TailsNo Gravatar on 11.26.09 at 1:46 pm

Happy Turkey Bird day to all!!

Purrz
=^..^=

?

#35 DanNo Gravatar on 12.17.09 at 11:10 am

I like the idea of a book, but issues with the cover:

Bottom text: too much, too dark.
Taglines: too small, too plain.
Inset image: doesn’t ‘pop’ enough.

Or maybe I’m just picky ;)