On the Eve of One Million Followers

Here we go. The climbing throngs of followers have continued unabated throughout this glorious summer, and it is obvious the little grey stump is going to have an army of over one million followers, when I am languishing at around seven thousand. But this entry isn’t about injustice, my friends. It’s about this clamoring horde. And what a horde it is! Always wanting his autograph, asking him to jump onto the latest bandwagons, joining his facebook page… and everyone keeps sending in t-shirt photos, which are very cute and all but sometimes feature other cats. Other cats!

So with this onset of one million followers comes the inevitable press, checking up on Socks and myself and only half-getting the stories because they have a deadline and less than fifteen minutes to tell his life story, and worst of all, they hardly mention me!

So let’s quickly go over the basics, so you all know what’s going on.

IMG_0784

Sockington. Grey cat. Called Socks because of his white feet and that’s what his brain is full of. Runs around a lot. Watches Cat TV out the window. Loves Salmon and playing with Baron Von Shakymouse, a constantly rotating cast of toy mice that he thinks are all the same one, even though he eats half of them. Sleeps a lot. Bothers me. Drops literary references he overhead once, usually getting them wrong. Yowls. Spends more time in the litterbox than anyone I’ve ever met. Hogs the good pillows. Dumb. He was a stray found outside a subway stop when he was a few months old, and came here to live with some overly-nice people and myself.  Awesome punching bag.

Pennycat. Yours truly. Raised on a farm, met all sorts of nice mentor cats and animals. Refined. Copper-colored, a sultry-eyed beauty keen to discuss contemporary subjects but privately harboring a taste of the old life, when cats were worshipped and short-attention-span theater of the web would never have been tolerated. Loves long walks in the kitchen and appreciates the staff for their sometimes-bumbling attempts to feed me and treat me in the manner to which I am accustomed. Brilliant. Self-assured. Humble.

Fatty.  Plodding, obsessive technogeek who ruined any potential of the online world by introducing Socks to twitter. (I followed of my own volition.) Computer historian by trade, has made the occasional documentary. Totally unaware of how much Socks gets away with. Finds him adorable (another sign of mental illness). In a pinch, can be persuaded for treats and extra mealtimes. Good pants.

Food Lady. The creme de la creme of the staff. Provides regular meals, expertly prepared. Five-star lap. Prone to reading a lot, but can fit me in there under the book and give me space to follow along. Beautiful.

During the last round of media madness, a lot of inaccurate information was forwarded around. For example, very few sites included my picture. Again, I provide a quality headshot:

P8080061

So please, press and members of the blogosphere, please contact us here at sockington.org for the true information! As the most informative member of this cat-based endeavor,  I will make every effort to give you the most accurate knowledge. Also, be sure to get my good side in the shots.

Oh, fine, here’s one of Socks too.

IMG_0766

17 comments ↓

#1 Mary EllenNo Gravatar on 08.12.09 at 9:40 am

What about Tweetie?

#2 jansfunnyfarmNo Gravatar on 08.12.09 at 9:47 am

Pennycat, It is a shame you are being overlooked. You are clearly beautiful, articulate and informative. We hope the press will remove their blinders so they can see you also exist and are worthy of interest.

#3 ZorbsNo Gravatar on 08.12.09 at 9:50 am

Penny, you are beautiful!

#4 LisaNo Gravatar on 08.12.09 at 10:55 am

Oh how I love you little Penny…you are so cunning and clever.

#5 MiareevaNo Gravatar on 08.12.09 at 2:03 pm

Congratulations on the ever increasing in size Socks Army.

I can’t wait to read about Tweetie here on the website too!

Penny – you are amazing :)

#6 Evil CatNo Gravatar on 08.12.09 at 4:47 pm

Pennycat, think QUALITY over quantity. Socks is a twitter ho, while you are an elegant cat with impeccable taste.

#7 Patrick OMalleyNo Gravatar on 08.13.09 at 8:21 am

funny stuff

#8 ColleenNo Gravatar on 08.13.09 at 9:36 am

Penny, even your photos show the difference between you two. There you are, dignified yet coy in your headshot, beautiful and brainy in the top picture. Now look at Sockington. Possibly high on catnip in the headshot, and what’s he doing in the top picture? Sneezing? Would you ever let your picture be taken in either situation? No. Thank you, Penny, for bringing the gravitas the internet is so sorely lacking. Thank you.

#9 Sam The CatNo Gravatar on 08.13.09 at 10:43 am

Sorry sister, but not acknowledging Tweetie won’t make him go away.

#10 richNo Gravatar on 08.13.09 at 2:48 pm

Yey! I love visiting Sockington’s site not just because of him but also because of Penny! ^^ You’re sooo pretty! :) If you’ll be a human, you’re probably a beauty queen! >^^<

#11 cathyNo Gravatar on 08.13.09 at 3:16 pm

Concatulations Socks!!! And Penny… you are amazing. Simply amazing. And welcome Sockelganger!

#12 A Few Good CatsNo Gravatar on 08.13.09 at 4:44 pm

We just got here for the first time after reading about you on The Whiskeratti, and we think both Socks and Penny are terrific!

#13 kNo Gravatar on 08.14.09 at 6:49 am

Socks is like Paris Hilton. Pennycat is like…hmmm. Vivien Leigh? Penny is a classy, classical old Hollywood star, and Socks is a reality-show contestant.

The Sockelganger (which, incidentally, is a BRILLIANT name) is as-yet too small and too young to be understood. Perhaps Penny can take him under her proverbial wing, and become a mentor to the young Sockelganger, a la OLD Three Leg?

#14 GoodOnYaMateNo Gravatar on 08.18.09 at 2:03 am

Ah Pennycat, you are obviously a lady through and through. Socks and Tweetie are indeed fortunate to have you to guide them through life’s hurdles. All hail to the Queen.

#15 MelissaNo Gravatar on 08.19.09 at 12:37 pm

Pennycat, you need to tweet more. I enjoy you tweets so much!

#16 CaseCamp Benefit….revised « Casecamp.org on 08.19.09 at 9:07 pm

[...] Jason Scott Jason Scott is owner of the most popular animal on Twitter, @Sockington, who as over 1,000,000 followers.  Jason will tell the story of how he built and maintains the community (Sockington’s Army) with [...]

#17 Penny (another one!)No Gravatar on 08.29.09 at 8:18 am

As ever, Pennycat, you are so wise! You said that Sockington ‘Drops literary references he overhead once, usually getting them wrong’, and so it has come to pass.

You named the upstart kitten ‘Little Oliver’. Now Sockington refers to him on Facebook as ‘Cousin Oliver’. From Dickens to the Brady Bunch in one ill-informed Sockism! Fruitless, though, to expect him to be well-informed, intelligent and share your inimitable je-ne-sais-quoi.