The Sockington Army Clipping Service – And Shirts

Now, don’t let it be said you can’t surprise a cat. We think we have it all figured out, and then things surprise us. OK, people surprise us. Unpredictable apes, they are. What I thought would be a little blip has turned out to be a long catcall, and Socks’ story is showing up in all sorts of places. Tons of places. So many places that Fatty doesn’t have a grain’s chance in a litterbox of finding them all.

Therefore, I have brainstormed an idea – ask the very Socks army helping him to achieve bizarre celebrity to help acquire all the Socks-related stuff going on.

Apparently Socks is showing up in a whole bunch of newspapers today. He’s also appearing on television in the news broadcasts, a sign of the weakening grip of the journalistic standards, but still, press is press.

So, here’s what’s being asked:

If you see an article about Sockington in your local paper, please clip it out and either scan the article and e-mail it to socks@sockington.org, or mail a copy to:

Sockington Army, 738 Main Street #383, Waltham, MA 02451 (ATTN: FATTY)

This would help enormously for the clipbook. Include your twitter username and I will force the little grey stump to thank you. (He always forgets to be polite; I at least know when it’s in a cat’s interest to feign politeness.)

If you can record any audio/video or find links to same, consider mailing those in as well.

Thank you all.

Also, we are apparently yielding to the clamoring masses and will be producing a high quality Sockington T-shirt for you people to wear outside (clothes, there’s one thing I never got).

Update: The shirts are available, apparently. I’ll post more about that in a moment; but if you want the link, it’s http://www.tinyurl.com/socksshirts.

Whew. You know, enough about all this. I know what you all came to see: me.

So here’s a little cheesecake photo of moi for all you big fans:

eyeball3

Until later, this is Pennycat signing out.

26 comments ↓

#1 JulieNo Gravatar on 05.22.09 at 8:52 am

Penny, you look gorgeous! Who’s your glamour photographer? ;)

3 cheers on the tshirt idea! I want to proudly show my allegiance to the Sockman. I hope your pawprint will be snuck onto the shirt as well, dear.

#2 Siampc, cat of EbellebooNo Gravatar on 05.22.09 at 8:52 am

Sockington, are we related? Our colors are similar. My distinguishing feature is a black nose on a black & white face and body. My Human Mom calls it a moustache, but I’m a girl!!!! Meeeoooowwwww, puuuurrr!

#3 AmandaNo Gravatar on 05.22.09 at 9:02 am

Very nic pic Penny!

#4 mathcat345 (Jann)No Gravatar on 05.22.09 at 9:18 am

I love your cheesecake photo, Penny! I am also a fan of your eloquent insights and realistic depiction of the madness that is Sock’s Mania! With you as the voice of reason, I feel certain that Sockington will never be allowed to let fame and fortune go to his head. You know how to make his head go “ow, ow, ow.” Keep up the good work!

#5 Pat T.No Gravatar on 05.22.09 at 10:23 am

Sorry. Once you started going commercial, the urge to watch/follow is gone. I realize you see it as ‘non-profit’, but it is all still a form of ‘selling out’.

I know lots of people who make money off the Internet, especially with MFA sites. I hold no grudge… Make as much as you can. Unfortunately, though, I’m out.

pat

#6 LindaNo Gravatar on 05.22.09 at 1:55 pm

Pat’s out, but I”m in.

#7 Ramona The CatNo Gravatar on 05.22.09 at 2:26 pm

Newspaper? The only time I see a newspaper is under the pile of litter I do my business on.

My master reads online!

#8 MyshckaNo Gravatar on 05.22.09 at 3:28 pm

Pat Pat Pat, get over it. Penny for Prime Minister, Socks for London Mayor – he would be less of a buffoon than we have now.

More of the same please!

Myshcka x

#9 NaloraNo Gravatar on 05.22.09 at 9:22 pm

First, I know (having actually watched and read most of the articles and news-spots) on the big Sockington hits 500,000 followers story, that Fatty has thought long and hard about the whole idea of “selling out” what Socks is to people and what Socks is not. I am sorry that Pat does not “get it” but here is my take on it.

There is a lot A LOT of UTTER CRAP on the net. There are a lot of people who scam who they can. There is a lot of hatred, a lot of bitter nasty people….

And then…there is Sockington. Sockington (and Penny of course, pardon, oh glorious beauty) is that small speck of light in the darkness of the net. He is joy, fun, happiness, and I say, HELL YEA, let’s give our money to support that fun. To say, yea, this is what the net CAN be, it CAN be serendipity. It can have a furry grey ball of love tucked in there, JUST BECAUSE it is a good thing.

So yea, gimme T Shirts! I am a proud member of the Socks Army. Huzzah!

Nal

#10 KristenNo Gravatar on 05.23.09 at 1:08 am

I second everything you just said, Nal. I’m going to be laid off from my job in about 4 weeks. The economy is in the tank, and prospects (for the foreseeable future) are bleak.

An then … there are Sockington and Penny. Receiving text message tweets from them throughout the day (and about a 1/2 dozen comedians I follow) has helped to keep me sane and off of the highway overpass near my place of work. The Socks “phenomenon” also helps to remind us not to take ourselves too seriously. Because if a cat can get 1/2 million followers, how important can the tweets of Ashton Kutcher be? (heh)

I also feel that it should be mentioned that majority of the money generated from this “selling out” will most likely go right back into the care and feeding and web sites (they’re not free, you know!) of Sockington and Penny. Why, I’ve purchased merchandise in the past to help support web sites I enjoy – surely no one is against that!

Huzzah, Socks and Penny! (And Jason!)

#11 FelixNo Gravatar on 05.23.09 at 4:07 am

Sockington, thanks for your delightfully simple take on your world, and thank you Pennycat, for sharing your more erudite prespective. You two are a little like the “Burns and Allen” of the catworld.

I’ll keep an eye open for articles and pass them along. Mom’s laidoff but still works on the computer most of the time. Something about updating resumes, I don’t know anything about that, but I’m happy I get more pets now. She likes to share what she reads and thinks about so she’ll tell me if she see anything more about you guys.

Felix in Seattle >^..^<

#12 Bob The TeacherNo Gravatar on 05.23.09 at 2:23 pm

Just saw the story on CNN, and enjoyed the introduction to Sockington.

Your blog is a fun way to entertain, inspire, and distract those that wish to procrastinate :)

And I see no issue with you getting paid to share this experience with others – everyone should find something they love to do that impacts other people positively, and be rewarded financially for it.

As Kristen mentioned, blogging isn’t free – between the web hosting and the hours of time spent doing video, editing, etc., getting paid provides more freedom to treat us audience members even better.

Bob

p.s. My cats Maynard and Keenan aren’t as entertaining – although they do sleep really well :)

#13 cathyNo Gravatar on 05.23.09 at 5:21 pm

I love Penny and Socks. :) As for the “selling out”, who cares???

#14 morriscatNo Gravatar on 05.26.09 at 11:54 pm

Oh Penny. I could lose myself in those big eyes of yours…

Kitty kisses,

Morris

#15 欧卓贤No Gravatar on 05.27.09 at 7:47 am

so good!i love the cat!Sockington!!

#16 StephNo Gravatar on 05.28.09 at 4:24 am

No worries, for every ‘moral’ wimp who is out, ten thousand more are in!

I would be honored to wear Sockington and so many others would be as well!
We love you, Penny and Sockington!

#17 kNo Gravatar on 05.29.09 at 10:12 am

i love you, penny. and there is no way that one can commercialize, or sell out, the sheer joy of saying “socks” and “sockington” all the time.

socks socks socks sockington socks socks socks

see? nothing better.

#18 CheapTartsNo Gravatar on 05.30.09 at 6:18 pm

Penny You are a sweetheart … Cheesecake babe! Can’t wait for fancy t-shirts. : )

#19 Whippy Curly TailsNo Gravatar on 05.30.09 at 6:23 pm

Huzzah!

Our 77 year old human Grandma loves to hear our Mom read both Socks & Penny’s Tweets. She just got a pacemaker & our Mom read the Tweets to her everyday in the hospital.

We <3 ya’ll.

Many thx,
=^..^=

#20 dollytaNo Gravatar on 06.03.09 at 8:15 am

Sockington I just love you!!!

#21 Submit ArticlesNo Gravatar on 06.03.09 at 7:59 pm

I hope your pawprint will be snuck onto the shirt as well, dear.

#22 MaryNo Gravatar on 06.05.09 at 7:01 pm

Congrats on the 600K!

#23 VeronicaNo Gravatar on 06.07.09 at 4:29 am

The tweets I get from Socks and Penny are great little pick-me-ups during the day. I believe my own cats follow them as well when I’m not home ;)